Valentine’s Day is celebrated around the world. Although the origins of the mystery saint are unclear, with some contending it’s a pagan celebration, what is clear is that millions of people exchange cards and gifts on 14th February every year. Romantic meals for two are also common on Valentine’s Day with restaurants getting booked up very quickly. Why not save your money and instead cosy up with your loved one on a cold winters night with a dinner for two? For dessert may I suggest a delicious chocolate pudding with chocolate sauce?
100g Caster Sugar
150g Self Raising Flour
50g Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
2 tbsp Milk
30g Cocoa Powder
30g Caster Sugar
Beat the Margarine and 100g of Sugar together in a bowl until it becomes light and creamy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well into the mixture.
Add the flour, 50g of cocoa powder, vanilla essence and milk and fold into the mixture.
Distribute the mixture equally into 4 plastic pudding moulds.
Steam the puddings for one hour.
After 45 minutes, put the milk, 30g of sugar and 30g of cocoa powder into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Mix the cornflour in a cup with a tbsp of water. Gradually add the cornflour to the chocolate flavoured milk, stirring all the time until it thickens.
When the puddings are ready, serve with the chocolate sauce poured over the top.
Did You Know?
- No record of romantic celebrations on Valentine’s Day exists prior to a poem Chaucer wrote in about 1375.
- As well as being the patron saint of engaged couples and marriages, Valentine is also the patron saint of beekeepers, epilepsy, the plague, fainting and travelling (history.com)
- In Victorian times it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine’s Day Card.
- Approximately one billion Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged each year.
- 3% of pet owners prefer celebrating Valentine’s Day with their pets and buy them gifts.
- In the 1800s Richard Cadbury invented the first box of heart-shaped chocolates.
There is no reason to miss out if you’re single!! As an alternative to chocolate pudding you may like to consider some other comfort foods such as Guards Pudding or Steamed Raspberry Pudding. Enjoy – and let me know what you think.