How caterers can help people suffering from food poverty and help save the environment.
Caterers tend to be very busy this time of year – ordering and preparing food to serve to their customers who are celebrating the advent of Christmas. But how much of this food will be wasted? How much will end up in landfills? Could some of the food be given to the homeless or others suffering from food poverty? I’m writing this blog because there are caterers who divert food destined for the landfill and make it available to those people in need, and I thought it might be of interest to you.
Continue reading “Caterers and Food Waste – what can a caterer do?”
Homelessness is increasing significantly and foodbank use continues to rise. What can a caterer do to help? There are already a number of caterers helping others, so I decided to write a detailed post about what they do in the hope that it helps other caterers who may be thinking that they too want to help.
- 47 is the average age of death of a homeless person (Crisis)
- 4,134 people are estimated to be sleeping rough on any one night (Homeless Link)
- 132% rise in rough sleepers since 2010 (Crisis)
- 16% rise in rough sleepers since 2015 (Crisis)
- Over 125,000 homeless children living in Britain today (Shelter)
- 62% of single homeless people may not show up in official figures (Crisis)
These are just the statistics – the human suffering is immense. How many homeless people are there where you live and shop? How many pass by your cafe or restaurant on a daily basis? As a caterer, could you help just one person?
Continue reading “10 ways a caterer can help with homelessness and foodbanks”
My aim is to save you money and to spread a bit of kindness.
We all need food to survive. We don’t have a choice – or do we? Can a caterer make a difference?
A quote from Harvey Specter of Suits – ‘You always have a choice’ got me thinking.
(For those of you who have never heard of Harvey Specter, he plays the smooth, over-confident and hugely successful lawyer in the TV series Suits, with memorable one-liner quotes).
- Does this apply to food? Yes it does. Some people are forced to make a choice between paying the rent or eating. Others are making choices to eat cheaper fast foods instead of more nutritious ones.
- Does this apply to a caterer? Of course it does. From baking a cake, when you choose the recipe, ingredients and utensils you will use, to choosing a caterer to provide your wedding breakfast, you always have a choice.
If you have no financial constraints then the choice you make is relatively straightforward. The problem occurs when you know what you need or want but can’t afford it.
The important thing to remember here is that you may still have a choice – there may be other ways for you to get what you want. There may be others that can help (caring caterer’ ). You may have to ‘think outside the box’ and/or compromise, but there are often alternatives for you to consider.
I’m here to help you look at the alternatives. Hopefully, as this site grows, others will come up with suggestions too. Continue reading “Is there a caterer who can save you money?”