Homelessness is increasing significantly and foodbank use continues to rise. What can a caterer do to help? There are already a number of caterers helping others, so I decided to write a detailed post about what they do in the hope that it helps other caterers who may be thinking that they too want to help.
- 47 is the average age of death of a homeless person (Crisis)
- 4,134 people are estimated to be sleeping rough on any one night (Homeless Link)
- 132% rise in rough sleepers since 2010 (Crisis)
- 16% rise in rough sleepers since 2015 (Crisis)
- Over 125,000 homeless children living in Britain today (Shelter)
- 62% of single homeless people may not show up in official figures (Crisis)
These are just the statistics – the human suffering is immense. How many homeless people are there where you live and shop? How many pass by your cafe or restaurant on a daily basis? As a caterer, could you help just one person?