Which restaurants are feeding the homeless this Christmas? From a search online here are five that I have found. I am sure that there are more but perhaps they do not receive as much publicity as they should. Some restaurants do more than just feed the homeless. Read on to find out who they are and what they do.Continue reading “5 Restaurants Feeding The Homeless This Christmas”
Do you want to help the homeless this winter? It’s easier than you thought. Read on for three campaigns for caterers that would welcome your involvement.Continue reading “3 Campaigns For Caterers To Help The Homeless This Winter”
Hunger is a craving or need that most people experience, often on a daily basis. For the majority of people in the UK this need is satisfied pretty quickly with a snack or a meal. Indeed we, as caterers and food bloggers, like to exploit this craving by creating delicious meals and sharing our favourite recipes. Tragically there is a growing number of people in the UK, including children, who experience hunger on a daily basis – but they do not have the luxury of being able to eat when they are hungry. Parents go without food so that their children can eat. Children go to bed hungry. They go to school hungry. The UK is the fifth largest economy in the world yet we have people faced with the choice between hunger or the indignity of asking for help from charities. What can we do to help?
Caring Caterers across the UK are providing the homeless with free food but it is often difficult to find out who these caterers are. Newspaper headlines sometimes report on these caterers; similarly they report on those who refuse to serve the homeless. Here I showcase some of those caring caterers and I have just added the five examples given in this post.
- 47 is the average age of death of a homeless person (Crisis)
- 4,134 people are estimated to be sleeping rough on any one night (Homeless Link)
- 132% rise in rough sleepers since 2010 (Crisis)
- 16% rise in rough sleepers since 2015 (Crisis)
- Over 125,000 homeless children living in Britain today (Shelter)
- 62% of single homeless people may not show up in official figures (Crisis)
My aim is to save you money and to spread a bit of kindness.
We all need food to survive. We don’t have a choice – or do we? Can a caterer make a difference?
A quote from Harvey Specter of Suits – ‘You always have a choice’ got me thinking.
(For those of you who have never heard of Harvey Specter, he plays the smooth, over-confident and hugely successful lawyer in the TV series Suits, with memorable one-liner quotes).
- Does this apply to food? Yes it does. Some people are forced to make a choice between paying the rent or eating. Others are making choices to eat cheaper fast foods instead of more nutritious ones.
- Does this apply to a caterer? Of course it does. From baking a cake, when you choose the recipe, ingredients and utensils you will use, to choosing a caterer to provide your wedding breakfast, you always have a choice.
If you have no financial constraints then the choice you make is relatively straightforward. The problem occurs when you know what you need or want but can’t afford it.
The important thing to remember here is that you may still have a choice – there may be other ways for you to get what you want. There may be others that can help (caring caterer’ ). You may have to ‘think outside the box’ and/or compromise, but there are often alternatives for you to consider.
I’m here to help you look at the alternatives. Hopefully, as this site grows, others will come up with suggestions too. Continue reading “Is there a caterer who can save you money?”